JAN 9: Daily Recap
IZWM at a glance: Here’s what happened today!
Today, as part of its ongoing engagement in Plastics Treaty negotiations, Health Care Without Harm has underscored several key points, including the need to center health in discussions about plastic pollution, advocate for no exemptions for healthcare products and the sector, support comprehensive detoxification of plastics, promote transparency in revealing chemical content, encourage incentives for sustainable product redesign, and advocate for robust extended producer responsibility. In line with the International Zero Waste Month Celebration, the organization has launched a series of activities for the Heal Without Waste #ChooseReuse campaign, which includes a social media initiative, a campaign caravan in three cities in the Philippines, and a video campaign from the health sector.
Dietplastik Indonesia and Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives (GAIA) Asia Pacific are planning a Reuse Tour in Indonesia, aiming to share knowledge, and experiences, and build stronger partnerships for implementing reuse solutions.
- Chai Pe Charcha (Focus Group Discussion) with Cleanup (India)
Today, the Waste Warriors Society conducted the “Chai pe Charcha” event, an open forum discussion that brought the community together to address issues related to plastic, waste, and pollution. The event went beyond just problem identification, aiming to foster a sense of ownership and encourage community-driven solutions. Participants were introduced to the “Paryavaran Sakhis” model for solid waste management, which involves local women from various villages collecting and segregating waste for recycling. Additionally, the community engaged in a cleanup drive, collecting waste from their surroundings to further the cause of environmental stewardship.
Call to Action
- Share your International Zero Waste Month experience using the hashtags and tag us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn | Tiktok. This is a sure way for us to see your messages and cross-post them on GAIA’s social media platforms!#ZeroWasteMonth #ZeroWasteMonth2024 #IZWM2024 #ChooseReuse #GoForZeroWaste
- For Reuse Events in Jakarta: We encourage all of the participants to publish the program’s activities on all social media platforms. You can use the following hashtags: #ReuseRevolution #ReuseTour #ReuseConference #InternationalZeroWasteMonth #ZeroWasteMonth2024 #IZWM2024 #GoForZeroWaste #ZeroWasteOurFuture #ChooseReuse #JKTReuseTour #PlasticDiet #BreakFreeFromPlastic and tag @iddkp, @zerowasteasia (on IG), @GAIAAsiaPacific (on FB), and @breakfreefromplastic.
- Help us spread the word this January! Check our International Zero Waste Month branding guide
- To organize your own or join an event, check out the Zero Waste Festival website.
For more information and updates, please check out the IZWM2024 landing page: https://2024-zwmonth.zerowaste.asia